If you’re thinking ahead to your next dream home, the road you need to take
to get there may seem confusing. Do you search for listings online? Drop by
Open Houses on the weekends? Call the number on For Sale signs?
Let’s break it all down! Here are the specific steps you need to take to
ensure you find a home that fits your wants, needs and budget.
1. Find out how much your current property will likely sell for on today’s
2. Arrange for financing, so you know what you can afford.
3. Select neighbourhoods you’d love to live in. (That may involve some
4. Decide on the type of home you want to buy. (For example:
detached, three-bedroom, etc.)
5. Prioritize the property features you want most, so you can be flexible
if a feature is missing from a home listed on the market that is
6. View properties on the market that closely fit your criteria, particularly
new listings that may not yet be posted online. (Tip: Arrange to be
immediately notified of new listings that are a good fit for you.)
7. When you find a home you want, make an offer designed to get the
property — without overpaying.
8. Negotiate until you secure the deal. This may involve counter-offers.
9. If the negotiation is skillfully done and all goes well, the home is
As you can see, there isn’t a lot of mystery in finding your next dream home.
You just need to take the steps and get the professional help you need
along the way.
Looking for a real estate agent that can get you to the finish line?