You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire.
That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety. Experts
recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following
common household items:
• Portable heaters. Never leave one in a room unattended. Make sure paper
and other combustible materials are well away from these units.
• Electronics chargers. We all want our computers, tablets and smartphones to
charge quickly. The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in
a lot of power, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible
material, as well as other wiring.
• Smoking materials. Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such
items. Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the
source of 75% of smoking-related fires.
• Candles. Never leave candles unattended for any reason. If you must leave
the room, extinguish them.
• Flammable liquids. These can include paints, thinners and some brands of
cleaning products. Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions.
To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not
having to deal with a house fire.

Translate »